Performance vs. Utility: What’s the Difference?
When shopping for a brawny RAM truck, a new Jeep Renegade for sale, or Jeep Wrangler for the best off-road parks in Kentucky, you hear the terms “performance” and “utility” a lot, but is there really a difference? It turns out there is. Learn how performance vs. utility differ so you can prioritize the features you want in your next Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram vehicle.
There are four key differences to take into account when deciding between performance vs. utility for your next vehicle.
- Horsepower vs. torque
- All-wheel/four-wheel drive vs. fuel efficiency
- On-road vs. off-road performance
- Passenger comfort vs. cargo space
Horsepower vs. Torque
While there is some wiggle room, Lexington drivers will generally find performance-focused vehicles emphasizing horsepower and utility-focused vehicles emphasizing torque. The difference between the two is:
- High Horsepower: Horsepower produces incredible acceleration and heart racing speeds.
- High Torque: Torque is a twisting motion that provides the strength needed for towing heavy loads and low-speed acceleration used when trailering.
All-Wheel/Four-Wheel Drive vs. Fuel Efficiency
This another category where there can be some overlap as manufacturers push for better fuel efficiency and increasingly add AWD to their vehicles. Despite this effort, this can still be a choice that comes up when vehicle shopping near Georgetown.
- All-Wheel/Four-Wheel Drive: These drivetrains boast multiple benefits including enhancing towing capabilities and improving traction for either bad weather or off-roading situations.
- Fuel Efficiency: The downside to using all four wheels is that it uses more fuel to distribute the power between them. This is why front-wheel drive vehicles offer more generous mpg ratings.
If you aren’t in need of the additional performance of an AWD/4WD vehicle, an FWD option will save you money and time spent stopping for gas.
On-Road vs. Off-Road
Do you frequently head off the beaten path? If so, that will impact your vehicle selection.
- On-Road: Spend your times on city roads and highways? Then a performance vehicle will let you zip around with ease.
- Off-Road: The off-road world is dominated by sports utility vehicles with suspensions and other additions meant to combat the challenging conditions and terrains they face.
Passenger Comfort vs. Cargo Space
Utility vehicle often put an emphasis on function while performance vehicle will provide more amenities for passengers.
- Passenger Comfort: With a few exceptions, you can usually find a variety of premium materials and features on performance vehicles.
- Cargo Space: Utility focused vehicles strive to haul it all with spacious cargo areas that can often be extended into the cabin to maximize carrying capacity.
Find Performance and Utility at Dan Cummins Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram
No matter which type of vehicle you are looking for, you can find it at Dan Cummins Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram. If you’re searching for a model that can do it all, see how the RAM 1500 utility wins out over the Ford F-150. You might also consider performance-minded Dodge Charger, the off-road ready Jeep Wrangler, the comfortable new Jeep Cherokee for sale, or the even more capable 2018 RAM 2500. Contact us for help finding the right model for your needs, or to schedule a test drive today!
More From Dan Cummins Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram
Lexington drivers who recognize the renowned quality of the storied Jeep Wrangler may be more familiar with its head-turning performance and rugged exterior. However, much of what makes the 2020 Jeep Wrangler so capable on back roads actually takes place in the cabin. From its spacious dimensions, cabin comfort and smart design, and trail-ready engineering,…
Lexington drivers interested in the 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee for its durable and trail-inspired design. With 12 trim levels to choose from, the Jeep Grand Cherokee configurations are sure to offer you the particular technology and comfort features that fit your budget and lifestyle around Georgetown. Read below to discover which is your favorite with…
If you’re thinking about making the RAM 3500 your next vehicle, it’s probably because you’re looking for a truck that can do some major towing. Whether you plan on towing an RV, or have to tow a large trailer around Nicholasville for work, the RAM 3500 towing capacity should have you covered. The exact towing capacity…