Performance vs. Utility: What’s the Difference?
When shopping for a brawny RAM truck or sporty SUV, you hear the terms “performance” and “utility” a lot, but is there really a difference? It turns out there is. Learn how performance vs. utility differ so you can prioritize the features you want in your next Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram vehicle.
There are four key differences to take into account when deciding between performance vs. utility for your next vehicle.
- Horsepower vs. torque
- All-wheel/four-wheel drive vs. fuel efficiency
- On-road vs. off-road performance
- Passenger comfort vs. cargo space
Horsepower vs. Torque
While there is some wiggle room, Lexington drivers will generally find performance-focused vehicles emphasizing horsepower and utility-focused vehicles emphasizing torque. The difference between the two is:
- High Horsepower: Horsepower produces incredible acceleration and heart racing speeds.
- High Torque: Torque is a twisting motion that provides the strength needed for towing heavy loads and low-speed acceleration used when trailering.
All-Wheel/Four-Wheel Drive vs. Fuel Efficiency
This another category where there can be some overlap as manufacturers push for better fuel efficiency and increasingly add AWD to their vehicles. Despite this effort, this can still be a choice that comes up when vehicle shopping near Georgetown.
- All-Wheel/Four-Wheel Drive: These drivetrains boast multiple benefits including enhancing towing capabilities and improving traction for either bad weather or off-roading situations.
- Fuel Efficiency: The downside to using all four wheels is that it uses more fuel to distribute the power between them. This is why front-wheel drive vehicles offer more generous mpg ratings.
If you aren’t in need of the additional performance of an AWD/4WD vehicle, an FWD option will save you money and time spent stopping for gas.
On-Road vs. Off-Road
Do you frequently head off the beaten path? If so, that will impact your vehicle selection.
- On-Road: Spend your times on city roads and highways? Then a performance vehicle will let you zip around with ease.
- Off-Road: The off-road world is dominated by sports utility vehicles with suspensions and other additions meant to combat the challenging conditions and terrains they face.
Passenger Comfort vs. Cargo Space
Utility vehicle often put an emphasis on function while performance vehicle will provide more amenities for passengers.
- Passenger Comfort: With a few exceptions, you can usually find a variety of premium materials and features on performance vehicles.
- Cargo Space: Utility focused vehicles strive to haul it all with spacious cargo areas that can often be extended into the cabin to maximize carrying capacity.
Find Performance and Utility at Dan Cummins Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram
No matter which type of vehicle you are looking for, you can find it at Dan Cummins Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram. If you’re searching for a model that can do it all, see how the RAM 1500 utility wins out over the Ford F-150. You might also consider performance-minded Dodge Charger, the off-road ready Jeep Wrangler, or the even more capable 2018 RAM 2500. Contact us for help finding the right model for your needs, or to schedule a test drive today!
More From Dan Cummins Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram
The 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee is known for its ultra-tough exterior that is ideal for off-roading near Lexington, leaving many drivers surprised when they step into the cabin to find a comfortable, spacious interior with premium entertainment and convenience features. Explore the details of the new Grand Cherokee interior with Dan Cummins Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram below, then contact us…
The iconic Jeep Gladiator pickup truck hasn’t been in production since 1988, so it’s safe to say that Jeep enthusiasts everywhere are anxiously awaiting the 2020 re-emergence of this off-road Jeep truck. Join Dan Cummins Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram as we divulge all the details we know so far in our 2020 Jeep Gladiator preview, and get ready to picture…
Grand Cherokee OverviewGrand Cherokee Inventory Thanks to its four robust engines, the 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee will always have your back with a maximum towing capacity of up to 7,200 pounds, so you can easily tow your camper to Kentucky Lake for the weekend. Learn more about each of your engine options and how much they’ll…